Wednesday, December 4, 2013

My Sales Audition Experience at Benefit Cosmetics ♥


Benefit Cosmetics is a company from San Francisco, USA, which is founded by a twin, Jean and Jane Ford. Their motto is "Laughter is the best cosmetics, so grin and wear it," so the people working in the company are very jolly and happy people. Their products also has cool names and packaging.

I was bum for a long time now and been applying for work. I wasn't really planning on applying for the said company but I saw that they have an opening that they posted in their Instagram account. I didn't hesitate to send my resume and wait for their call. After a week or so, their Sales Head contacted me through text and scheduled an interview. She asked me to wear all black, so I was quite confused. She then told me that I'll be undergoing a sales audition on the same day. I was so excited because I really want to work in a cosmetics company, even though I am not pretty familiar with the position.




The scheduled interview came. The time she stated was 11am, so I was there ahead of time but then she let me wait. It's alright with me since most companies do that. I checked out the office and I was shocked that it isn't girly at all. It is dull and doesn't look a cosmetic office at all. I was expecting a girly and full of pink office, which is the image of Benefit Cosmetics. Then, she came at around 12nn because she just finished her meeting. She asked me a lot of questions like if I am familiar with the products of the company, my favorite product from Benefit, if I can put on makeup on other people, how well I'm doing with interacting with people, and all that jazz relating to sales. Then the unexpected questions came. She asked me if I am on the crazy side and what was the craziest thing I've done in my life. Well, I don't know what to answer, my mind was blocked. Then she changed the question to a more difficult one for me, which is... If I am described by my boyfriend, what would it be. And I need to give 3 things. I was shocked by that question but I did answer what I felt he will be describing me.

So I was informed that the position is Beauty Expert or also known as a store representative, where you will be placed in the store and sell the products. I don't really like that because I studied in a private school and graduated with a major of International Business not to be in a position like that. But if I really want to pursue my passion in applying makeup to other people and become a makeup artist, this job will be a good stepping stone.




Later in the afternoon is the sales audition. She asked me to go to the store at 3:30 PM to be briefed by the Branch Head. I went there and the branch head gave me a booklet about the products and its prices, and I have to memorize all of those in 15 minutes. Then, she walked me around the store and pointed out the products I need to sell, which are the top selling products of Benefit Cosmetics. The 5 best sellers are Porefessional, They're Real Mascara, Hello Flawless Foundation, Hello Flawless Powder and the skin care products.

Then the audition begins. I was a bit shy at first because as a customer I don't want sales representatives tailing me around the store. I want to stroll around, look at stuff and don't want to be disturbed. I just want them to be ready whenever I need help or whenever I ask. So I just stood there like a trunk but a veteran sales representative approached me told me to traffic stop. Traffic stop is a term used in Benefit Cosmetics to approach people walking outside the store to try out a specific product or just invite them inside the store. She was not that friendly. She has that approach of superiority to me, which I dislike. But o well, that is work and I have to deal with it. Going back, I did not so great on traffic stopping. I was so shy in approaching people i don't know and sell a product that I am not really familiar with. Bottom-line, I am not a sales person.
When I was inside the store and customers asked me about a product, I can't really answer them because as I said I am not really aware of all the products. I didn't memorize the prizes, uses, benefits, ingredients and all that jazz of every single product. To start with, they have a lot of products! There are a lot of chances that I almost made a sale, but when they started asking about some detail, I asked another representative and they started talking. So the sale is hers and not mine anymore.


Almost 3 hours has passed (the audition is 4 hours) and I still don't have a sale. I started giving up and just wanted to get it over with because my legs hurt. Then another customer approached me and asked. The other representative, the approachable one, helped me. It was my first and only sale. The customer bought a Hello Flawless Powder, which is one of my main products to sell. It gave me a success feeling and it brought happiness to me.


So the audition is over and I have a lot of learning. First is it is very difficult to sell a product you are not very familiar by heart and mind. Furthermore, it is difficult to persuade people to buy something you don't even own or even tried out yet. Personal experience is a plus in selling. Second, I should learn to be more interpersonal, where I need to learn how to approach people I don't even know. I need to know the basics of sales because everything starts with a little bit of sales talk. Thirdly, never give up. Even though it is almost in the time limit, good thing will come. You just have to wait and still be energetic to sell.

That is all that I could share for now. I hope you enjoyed reading and I hope you learned something from my experience. Let us enjoy life and never be afraid on what the future is about to offer. Never give up and Good luck!

Benefit Benebabe WelcomeEmail 767x1024 Proud To Be A Benefit Cosmetics Benebabe!




Disclaimer: All pictures shown are NOT mine, I got them from Google.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here to brighten up my day. ♥